One seed can start a garden, one candle can light a room, one step can begin a journey, one conversation can start a friendship, one smile from a handmade card can lift one's SPIRIT!

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Playing Catch up with Gina K

Hi friends...gosh I didn't realize how much time has gone by and I haven't posted anything!
I have been playing a bit, just always getting interrupted and never get the pictures taken of the cards, then they all pile up on me and here I am, trying to catch up!
So you know Gina K usually does three videos a week, sometimes only two, but I sure look forward to them, it is a great way to try a new technique or revisit one that hasn't been done in a long time!
So I will start with the current and work backwards and post them all here in one place!
Friday night was coloring with bleach on colored cardstock!
Now I have done bleaching before, but I usually sponged on color using DI or DOX and taking them away with the bleach. This time it was all about using the bleach to remove color from the cardstock!
Isn't it amazing that the flowers are a yellow when you use bleach on the cardstock, I think it is so pretty!  I stamped with black ink and then again with versamark and used clear EP, that way the bleach doesn't run off as much as it could without the raised edge from the embossed part of the flower.  And where it did go off a bit, a tip from Gina K was just to use a colored pencil of the same shade as the paper to cover it up!  That worked perfectly!!

This is what I used:
PTI cardstock:  Terra Cotta Tile
HA:  Nasturtium stamp (flower)
Altenew:  Starry Flowers (sentiment)


Gina K:  Whimsical Flowers (flower)
PTI: Sending you Comfort (sentiment)
PTI paper (tropical teal)
I love the soft colors once the darker teal color was removed with bleach.

One of her Wednesday Whimsy videos was making a window card.
Started out making soft clouds in the background.
Then stamp and color the image with prisma color pencils and move the color around with gamsol, cut it in quarters, mount it on black paper leaving a little space.

 Gina K : Whimsical flowers
Gina K:  Peaceful florals (sentiment)
Gina K:  Peaceful Florals (sentiment and flower image)
Prismacolor pencils and gamsol

The last one for this post was a  Merry Monday Video showing a SPLIT NEGATIVE TECHNIQUE
Gina used both a snowflake and a Christmas Tree and she used gold and black paper and silver and black paper.  This is what I made:
 PTI paper:  Hawaiian shores
PTI paper:  Luxe Silver
Gina K:  Holly Jolly stamp (snowflake)
Lil' Inkers stitched circle die

I did make one more card, but it didn't turn out because I tried cutting it at an angle (she cut her tree at an angle, I was going for an angle cut on the snowflake...didn't look so good, needed to line it up better, so I just took my black one and just made it a card, not with the split negative technique!
It is still pretty and will be used for a Christmas card!
Okay enough for one day, I will let you get back to your own cards now, but thanks for hanging out with me for awhile...I have missed you all.
Hope you are all still safe as well as all your family!
We are still hunkered down here, but all is well and our county has opened TODAY...I wonder where we might go OUT to eat tonight?  
Ha Ha, will probably stay home so we can still be safe and I suspect the lines might be long because everyone is going to want to get out to eat!


Heart Hugs, friends!



3 comments:

Bonnie said...

You've been busy, Col! I'll have to try bleaching colored cardstock. I love the results you got! Interesting how the color changes! The flowers in your window cards are so pretty and I love how the black borders make the colors pop! Love the snowflake with the light and dark and the gold and black card is so elegant! Take care, my friend.

Susan said...

What a wonderful batch of cards, Colleen! Love the results from bleaching the coloured cs - must try that! The window cards are fabulous - such a great technique to add extra interest to a card. And two great Christmas cards - love the blue and white split image of the snowflake!

Julia Aston said...

You have been learning lot's of lovely techniques Colleen! what beautiful cards you have created! love the bleached ones especially! xx