One seed can start a garden, one candle can light a room, one step can begin a journey, one conversation can start a friendship, one smile from a handmade card can lift one's SPIRIT!

Friday, October 2, 2020

Color Hues # 3

Yeah for another Color Hues Challenge # 3!
Gold and Cream are the colors for this challenge!
This is a Sizzix 3D embossing folder, isn't it pretty?  So I was just playing along with a zoom group and we used embossing folders in different ways.  When I saw this color combo (and I had just purchased this folder today) I knew I wanted to try the technique with this folder.  So on the smooth side of the folder I rubbed antique linen Distress oxide ink (kind of creamy but it looks yellowish here in this picture) and ran it through the die machine.  I then used my versamark pad and rubbed over all the raised areas of my card stock (after drying and using a powder buddy of course!!).  Now full disclosure, I did have to end up using a versamark pen to go over it again because I was afraid to apply too much pressure the first time and get the versamark in places I didn't want it!!
I had a little trouble getting a great picture, the one below really shows the true background color (creamy) but it doesn't do much for showcasing the gold embossing powder.  So I took the above picture and laid it flat and took a picture so you could see the nice shine!
I think this is so pretty, I must try it with other colors and give it a patina kind of look!


While I was shopping I found some Photo Play word dies and stamps, that is what I used for the "peace" word. It has a two part die, one for the word and then a background.  I die cut the word and smooshed it into the versamark pad, then gold embossed it.  I die cut the background out of rustic cream card stock.
So there it is friends!  

Update on weather:  we are getting a little bit of smoke from the California fires, not a lot, but very hazy in the morning and then with fog ( I guess you could call it 'smog') visibility is poor in the morning, but we are having some nice warm sunny afternoons.  And really the air quality is maybe 68 in the morning, so we will take that over the 400+ from the fires here in Oregon that we had last week!

 Hope you all have a great weekend and that you can play on World Card Making Day!!

Heart Hugs, friends!




11 comments:

Loll said...

LOVE your card Colleen. Two great ways to use the same folder. LOVE the gorgeous shine from the gold embossing. xx

Karen said...

A beautiful card! Thanks for the two photographs which together showcase not only the technique but the beautiful results! Thanks for joining us at Color Hues; hope to see you there again soon!

HilaryJane said...

This is gorgeous and very clever. whenever I try to do anything on the raised bits I get the ink everywhere but where I want it so I know it is not a simple as you make it sound. such a good result xx

Cindy Beach said...

I just love this Colleen! You've gotten beautiful results with this technique and the rich textures make the colors extra festive.

Darnell said...

Hammy and I are LOVING all the gorgeous schparkle from the amazing gold on this beautiful design, Col! It really is an expensive-looking gift for the lucky recipient! We've had five (maybe six?) days of temps 100 or higher again, with air quality in the 200s. So tired of it, but hate to complain when so many have lost so much. Hopefully it will cool off soon and the poor firemen can catch a break. I'm glad it's been better for you in the afternoons! Take care. Hugs, Darnell

Bonnie said...

Wow! This is gorgeous, Col! Love that embossing folder and the elegant gold poinsettias! I'm glad the fires are diminishing and the air is better. Hopefully thing continue to improve.

Nancy said...

This is stunning Colleen! I zoomed in for a closer look as I wanted to see all the texture! I am glad to hear that things aren't as bad as they were but pray like you that things improve for all very soon. Thanks for playing with us at Color Hues I sure appreciate it.

Marcia Hill said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS card Colleen and now you're making me want that embossing folder!! Embossing the textured areas was a great idea...it really makes the elegant card totally pop! Love, LOVE it!! And glad to hear the air is getting a bit better...will continue to pray for all of you out west!! Take care. Hugs. :0)

Susan said...

So beautiful, Colleen. I keep trying to order that embossing folder but it's always out of stock. Now that I've seen your card, I want it even more!

JoAnn said...

This is beautiful Colleen. Love your use of the new embossing folder and the lovely gold shine on the poinsettias, so pretty.

Sheri Gilson said...

An absolutely stunning card Colleen! Love the embossing folder! Thank you so much for playing along with us at the Color Hues Challenge!