One seed can start a garden, one candle can light a room, one step can begin a journey, one conversation can start a friendship, one smile from a handmade card can lift one's SPIRIT!

Friday, August 17, 2018

Sunflowers and Post Surgery Update

Hi friends, it is good to be back on the blog..momentarily at least!
I had a total knee joint replacement last Tuesday, so as you can imagine, I am on my back nearly 24/7.  However, every hour I do get up and walk for 5 minutes, then I am back on the sofa or bed with my leg in a motion machine and also hooked up to an ice machine.  I ice 30 minutes on, then 30 off all day long and keep the leg motion machine going through it all.  I have had one PT and go back today for another and of course I am doing the prescribed exercises at home (which is NOT easy!)  It is hard to do something that really hurts, especially if I am the one in charge!
However, I have not taken any narcotics for pain, because for the most part I have minimal pain..except it seems at night!  I think I slept for 3 hours, then I just could not handle the pain, so I got up and had my husband help me get back on the motion machine and the ice machine and I took two Tylenol.  I do not handle narcotics well and would just as soon not deal with those side effects!

 this is my leg in the constant motion machine and the ice pack on my knee
29 staples...yikes..I get them out next Monday, I wonder if that is going to hurt too!!
 Pre-Op I made this sunflower card, but when it was all done, I decided it was not quite CAS enough, so I didn't enter it..
After icing my knee for an hour and using the constant motion machine for 1 1/2 hours, I decided to come into my studio and see if I could make a card for CAS Watercolour August Challenge with the cue word being sunflower before it closes.
I just watched Jennifer McGuires video HERE on framed stamping for a one layer card.
I had this Waffle Flower stamp and had not used it, so thought this was the perfect time.  I hand drew the frame and stamped the image in HA soft granite ink, then I masked off the part I wanted to stamp the flower and did that in versafine, then embossed with clear ep.
I colored with zigs water color pens.

 Okay, that is it for me, back to the couch and maybe catching a few zzz's!
Thanks for stopping by friends and my next post I will show you all the amazing cards I received from the best friends a girl could have...crafty friends!
Heart Hugs, friends!



10 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

Colleen, this card is FABULOOUS...CAS perfection!! Beautifully colored and I love how you framed it out...guess I need to watch Jennifer's video! That motion machine is quite the contraption, but sounds like it's doing it's job to keep the pain at bay! So glad to see you posting again and hoping each day gets a little easier for you! Sending lots of hugs and continued prayers your way my friend! And thanks so much for sharing your lovely, lovely card with us at CAS Watercolor!! :0)

Brenda in IN said...

This is over and above dedication to stamping, Colleen. Getting into the stamp room after preparing for 2 1/2 hours to get a card done is simply awesome! I'm so happy you are doing everything necessary for recovery even though it is painful. My hubby had staples removed and said it didn't hurt. I love the card. That is so pretty with just the inside of the frame colored. Just goes to show you can't keep a good stamper down!

JoAnn said...

Wow, you are really going through it with that knee replacement. I pray that it heals quickly and you are back to your normal routine. Both your cards are lovely. i like how you framed the flower on the second card.
Take care of yourself. Hugs and prayers.

Nance said...

Oh wow, Colleen! I sure hope your recovery is quick and gets easier and less painful each day! Beautiful sunflower cards. Hope they're sitting somewhere where you can see them to perk you up. Take care, one day at a time!

Darnell said...

Girl, I can't believe you got up and made that beautiful CASlicious sunflower card! (Love the other one, too!) It's so sweet the way you have it framed ... another of your cards to bookmark for CASEing! Well done using your NBUS, too! Thanks for the update and sharing your photos. I have to say the one of your poor naked leg looks really gnarly! Please don't overdo! I think they have these knee replacement recovery protocols down to a science so it's best to be a good patient patient! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! Love and hugs, Darnell

Helen F. said...

Oh my, Colleen! You are such a dedicated crafter! You created two beautiful cards here and I'm inspired by the lovely designs on both.
Sorry, I have been MIA for a couple of months and trying to catch up on commenting...Thanks for sharing your post surgery photos, I hear the PT for knee replacement is pretty intense but oh-so-necessary to get back to "a normal routine". I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

Nancy said...

You go girl! No pain pills! I always knew you were a superhero! You are amazing! Hope all things continue to go well! Big Big Cyber Hugs!!! Love both these cards! Prayers heading your way!

Kim Heggins said...

Oh my....wishing you a very speedy recovery and that you are back on your blog sooner than later! Sending lots of gentle hugs your way! Both of your cards are so beautiful. Take care!

Greta said...

Oh wow--glad I got to this post tonight. Thinking of you & wishing you a great result & strength to handle the rehab. Knee replacements can give you back your life, but the rehab does require a lot of perseverance to work through the pain. Hope by now you've gotten better rest. Your cards are both beautiful, but oh boy do I love the framed sunflower! Sending love & hugs, Greta

Loll said...

I'm sorry I'm so late commenting. I am over a week behind! :) That seems to happen to me all the time.

Yikes is all I can say when I saw the picture of your knee. That looks very swollen and tight and I can imagine that it's hard to sleep at night. I hope things have gotten easier for you over the past week since you posted this. Sending love, gentle hugs and lots of healing thoughts your way, my friend.

Two beautiful sunflower cards. It has to be the happiest flower there is. Your first card is beautiful with all those bright yellow sunflowers. The recipient has to feel better just seeing it! And your second card is so pretty with the framed single flower.

Take care Col!! Love, Loll