One seed can start a garden, one candle can light a room, one step can begin a journey, one conversation can start a friendship, one smile from a handmade card can lift one's SPIRIT!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Watercolor Day 2 and the MIM envelope wraps

I thought I should get these cards posted before another day of videos shows up in my inbox!
I managed to make two before the end of the day.
The first card of the day was a soft watercolor wash...well, I don't think mine is so "soft", but I do like it!  And at the end I splattered some black to give it interest.  This was made with watercolor pencils, even the splatters!  Notice the wadded up thread behind the sentiment? 
I made an envelope to go with this card, using the Make it Monday: Envelope Wrap from Papertrey Ink. I used Tag Its # 5 and placed it on the Big shot so that it was hanging over the edge and not cutting the top shape and hole, that way I could make it as long as I wanted.  It does wrap around to the back of the envelope as well, with another heart to keep it closed!
I added some additional splatters of black paint also.
 
 
This is one of many that Jennifer McGuire demonstrated...I white embossed the background, did my wash using distress inks and a brush with lots of water.  I had taped it down on all sides to keep it flat while drying...then left to go watch my granddaughter play T-ball! 
When I came back I used an iron and a piece of computer paper to "lift" the embossing OFF the paper.  By doing that it allowed me to stamp my sentiment over the whole thing.
The inside of the card reads:
We are never alone.
Now I need to buy me some rubber cement and try another one of Jennifer's cards!
Are you curious about rubber cement? 
Stay tuned!
 
Heart Hugs,
Colleen
 


5 comments:

Brenda in IN said...

You did a great job on these two cards. Love the pencil card and second card is so pretty. I went out and got rubber cement yesterday too. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I love the idea.

anja curvers said...

Wow great cards Colleen I didn't sign up for this class but I think I will do so because I like what I see here.

Linda said...

I particularly like the second card, but great job on both techniques.

Kim Heggins said...

This is just fabulous Colleen! I love your take on this challenge and Happy Mother's Day!

Shirley said...

Now I remember how I found you. Someone was talking about how great your card was. :-) Your first card is just gorgeous and I really love the wash colors you chose and the splat!! I need to learn to be comfortable with doing that. The envy is really wonderful too! Your second card is really beautiful. Love how the resist worked!! I bet your GD is awesome at Tball and fun to watch too. I remember when my daughter was in softball!